Dates and Walnut Cake
The sweet taste of dates and rustic flavour of walnut goes well to create a unique taste when served with hot tea or coffee.
1 cup sliced dates (khajur)
3/4 cup chopped walnuts (akhrot)
1 tbsp instant coffee powder
1/2 cup soft butter
1/2 cup condensed milk
1 1/4 cups plain flour (maida)
1/2 tsp baking powder
1 tsp baking soda
1 tsp vanilla essence
- Combine the coffee powder and 1 tbsp of hot water in a small bowl, mix well and keep aside.
- Combine the dates and 1 cup of hot water in a bowl, cover it with a lid and keep aside to soak for 30 minutes. Drain and keep aside.
- Combine the butter and condensed milk in a deep bowl and beat it using an electric beater till smooth.
- Add the plain flour, baking powder and baking soda and mix well using a spatula.
- Add the dates, ¨ö cup walnuts, vanilla essence and coffee-water mixture and mix well using a spatula.
- Pour the batter into a greased bread loaf tin of 200 mm. (8¡±) and tap it lightly.
- Sprinkle the remaining ¨ù cup of walnuts evenly over it and bake it in a pre-heated oven at 180¡Æc (360¡Æf) for 55 minutes.
- Cool slightly, loosen the sides with the help of a knife and demould it.
- Cut the cake into 13 mm. ( ¨ö¡°) slices.
- Serve or store in an air-tight container.